In just over a year there will fresh elections to Oxford City Council and we need to be ready if we are to defend our existing presence on the city council and to increase the number of Liberal Democrat councillors to effectively challenge Labour. This is going to be particularly important in 2020 as there will be new boundaries and all 46 council seats in 23 wards will be up for election.
We expect the final boundaries to be confirmed by the Local Government Boundary Commission for England on 5 February and we would like to select candidates as soon as possible thereafter.
We are now looking to select 2 candidates for each of the 23 wards in Oxford for the 2020 City Council elections.
Between the two local parties, the wards are expected to be as follows:
- Oxford East - Barton, Blackbird Leys, Churchill, Cowley, Donnington & Iffley, Headington Hill & Northway, Hinksey Park, Holywell, Littlemore, Lye Valley, Marston, Northfield Brook, Quarry & Risinghurst, Rosehill, St Clements, St Mary's, Temple Cowley
- Oxford West & Abingdon - Cutteslowe, Jericho, Osney & St Thomas, Summertown, Walton Manor, Wolvercote
Candidates have to live, work, own a property, or be on the electoral register, anywhere within the City of Oxford.
If you would like to apply, the process will be as follows:
- you will need to complete an application form and agree to comply with party rules concerning candidates and councillors
- you will then be invited to meet with a panel of local Liberal Democrats, who will consider whether you would be able to represent the Liberal Democrats successfully as a councillor
- only approved potential candidates will then be able to put their name forward for selection
- if there is more than one approved potential candidate for any one ward, there will be a vote of the local members in that seat.
Being a city councillor can be very rewarding, and is a really positive way of making a really valuable contribution to your local community and to Oxford.
If you would like an application form, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org.
The deadline for applications to be submitted is midnight on Thursday 14 February 2019.
- For more information on the new boundaries, please visit www.lgbce.org.uk/all-reviews/south-east/oxfordshire/oxford for the latest. We expect the final version of the new boundaries to posted there on 5 February 2019.
- Jericho and Osney & St Thomas wards cover parts of both Oxford West & Abingdon and Oxford East. It has been agreed that Oxford City Branch will organise the selection process for these wards on behalf of itself and Oxford East Liberal Democrats.
- There is a helpful guide to being a councillor prepared by the Local Government Association and ALDC (the Association of Liberal Democrat Councillors and Campaigners). Click here to download the pdf.