Throughout the Examination in Public of the Vale Local Plan, local Liberal Democrats fought alongside community groups to protect the Oxford green belt.
While we were successful in convincing the planning inspector that fifteen of the threatened sites should remain green belt, theInspector has indicated that four parcels of land in Sunningwell and Radley, north of Abingdon are suitable for housing.
The developers CEG are in the process of developing a masterplan for a development of 900 homes, new school, community centre, shops and playing fields north of Abingdon. LibDem councillors are engaging pro-actively with the developer, Vale and County Officers to help ensure that the development provides what local residents need and find ways to mitigate any negative impacts of this development.
At a public exhibition in October residents talked to us about their concerns. These included;
- The position of the new school in relation to existing housing
- The increase in traffic on the A34 and local roads, particularly along Dunmore Road and Twelve Acre Drive and the knock on effect on Sunningwell, Radley and other surrounding villages.
- The lack of planning in relation to cycle access and safety – especially on the Wootton Road Roundabout.
- The desperate need for affordable housing and ways for local young people to buy or rent homes within the Vale.
- The need for additional capacity for local NHS services.
There were a number of questions asked about air quality, noise pollution and flooding. CEG have considered these possible problems and have some plans to reduce the environmental impact.
Liberal Democrat Councillors are working to ensure this development (and others in the area) results in improved facilities and infrastructure for the whole community.
As we learn about issues and concerns we are raising these with the developer and council officers. If you have any comments, concerns or ideas about the emerging plans for this housing development, please get in touch with Cllr Emily Smith at firstname.lastname@example.org.